The Visiting Nurse Association of Johnson County (VNA) offers Stepping On Workshops.
Winter: February 4th- March 18th
Sunday afternoons- 1:00pm – 3:00pm
UI Sports Medicine Clinic
2701 Prairie Meadow Dr.
Iowa City, IA 52246
To register for this session go to:
Spring: April 13th- May 25th
Friday mornings- 9:30am – 11:30am
Friday afternoons- 1:00pm – 3:00pm
VNA of Johnson County
1524 Sycamore St.
Iowa City, IA 52240
If you would like to be put on a waiting list for a different session, please call our office at: 319-337-9686
The Visiting Nurse Association is also part of the Sure Steps community falls prevention project. Sure Steps is designed to increase everyone’s awareness of the serious effects of falls, and to promote fall prevention measures. Falls put you at risk of serious injury. Prevent falls by learning more about your personal fall risk and by implementing fall prevention measures. Falls do not have to be an inevitable consequence of aging- many falls can be prevented. An investment in fall prevention is an investment in your independence!
• Every 13 seconds an older adult is treated in an emergency room for a fall-related injury.
• Every 20 minutes an older adult dies from a fall
• In 2013, the total cost of fall injuries was $34 Billion
• Falls in adults aged 65+ are the leading cause of head injuries and broken hips
• Unintentional fall-related injuries and deaths are on the rise in Iowa
• For older Iowans, falls are the leading cause of injury-related deaths.
• Causes for falls vary, but often can be related to lower extremity weakness, poor vision, medications, chronic health problems and unsafe home conditions
Increase your physical activity to maintain or build balance, leg strength, and flexibility.
Talk with your health care provider or pharmacist about your medications and the risk of falling. Make sure side effects of prescribed or over the counter medications aren’t increasing your risk of falling. Find out what you can do to manage the risks.
Find out your risk for falls. When you see your health care provider ask for an assessment of your risk for falls. Other sources of fall risk assessments: VNA completes a personal fall risk assessment when they complete the home safety assessments.
Keep your home safe. Remove tripping hazards, increase lighting, make stairs safe, and install grab bars in bathrooms. Some individuals may need additional modifications. VNA offers personal risk and home safety assessments to Johnson County residents. Call 337-9686 and ask for a free Sure Steps assessment.
Get your vision and hearing checked annually. Update your eyeglasses as needed. Your eyes and ears help keep you on your feet.
Take good care of your feet and wear comfortable, supportive shoes that fasten securely to your feet.
Additional fall prevention information
JCLC website: www.livablecommunity.org/suresteps