VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION
JOB DESCRIPTION- INTAKE AND REFERRAL COORDINATOR
REPORTS TO: Clinical Services Manager
SUPERVISES: No one
WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Reimbursement, Professional Staff, Team assistants, Medical Records, Quality Manager, Referral Sources, Patients and their families.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Exempt, Salaried
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Coordinates admission to the agency of new patients, gathering referral information, initiating the clinical record and admission. Gathers information regarding patients, assisting in referrals to other community resources. Provides information regarding services to the community. Assists with home care services.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Iowa Licensed RN, LPN or Social worker. Requires car, driver’s license and adequate insurance as outlined in the Personnel policies. Required is a physical examination completed at the time of employment with a physician’s statement of the employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. Annual TB testing is required. All offers of employment are conditioned upon the result of a criminal background check conducted by the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, as required by law and a negative finding on the Office of Inspector General’s Excluded Provider List.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: The employee will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing. The employee will demonstrate organizational skills needed to manage the completion of tasks in a timely manner. The employee will demonstrate the ability to maintain composure while under stress. The employee will demonstrate proficiency with all common office equipment. The employee will demonstrate the ability to efficiently learn software applications, efficiently and accurately complete all documentation in clinical documentation software, and efficiently and effectively use Microsoft Office products including Word and Outlook.
PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE DEMANDS: The employee will demonstrate the ability to manage multiple phone calls and coordination tasks and complete all required documentation and notifications timely and efficiently. The job requires the ability to sit for long periods at a desk, use a phone and keyboard, and may require the physical demands of reaching, lifting, stooping, bending, etc. The employee will demonstrate the ability to maintain and update professional knowledge base and the ability to assimilate and utilize agency information regarding policy and procedure changes. Ability to lift 35 lbs 2 times in a row from floor to counter.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/EQUIPMENT: The employee will perform the duties of this job in an office setting during employed hours. The ambient noise level in this environment is generally low to moderate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: To be performed satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The following duties are normal for this position. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, it is not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned by the employer.
1. Confers with physicians, patients, families, community agencies, and institutional personnel by phone or in office to give information regarding VNA services and to obtain pertinent information to complete necessary forms and initiate home care.
2. Monitors, responds and gathers documentation for TLC referrals.
3. Completes appropriate intake forms, initiates the clinical record for referrals, and enters admission information into the computer system. Scans admit/intake document and initiates patient admission paperwork. Completes preliminary diagnosis coding based on verbal and written referral information and enters patient medication orders in clinical computer software as information is available.
4. Reports patient information to physicians or other agencies, takes verbal orders, and gathers data on patients as requested.
5. Checks physician credentials for licensure, Pecos and Medicare exclusions.
6. Maintains knowledge of current Face to Face regulations for both Medicare and Medicaid.
7. Initiate and obtain Face to Face certification, with ongoing follow up until document is complete and accurate. Documents all efforts, and scans documents into medical records.
8. Initiates and signs verbal orders, obtaining physician signature as required. Develops verbal orders in accordance with VNA and industry standards, ensuring accuracy and completeness of each order.
9. Process admissions and discharges in timely manner, ensuring demographic and contact information is complete and accurate. Complete admission process by noon of next working day after admission; complete discharges within 1 working day of notification. Conducts admission and discharge audits according to agency format.
10. Provides counseling, general health assessment or specific treatments in office or home as delegated by a VNA manager.
11. Maintains a resource file of available health information and community resources and services.
12. Assists the primary nurse or therapist in researching available community resources and services to meet identified needs and assists in making referrals when patient needs identified are beyond the scope of agency services.
13. Assists with VNA compliance program and performance improvement activities as delegated.
14. Maintains confidentiality of patients/clients.
15. Attends staff meetings and participates in patient conferences as necessary.
16. Communicates on-call work to the assigned staff when designated by management.
17. Complies with agency policies.
18. Maintains current CPR training and other competencies.