VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION
REPORTS TO: Clinical Services Manager
SUPERVISES: No one
WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Clinical Services Manager, HCA/HMK's, Senior HCA's, Team Assistants, VNA Home Care staff
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Non exempt, hourly
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Provides environmental care in the home for self-directing clients.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: High-school diploma or equivalent, and/or previous experience as a Chore Worker. At a minimum, orientation shall include four hours on the role of the Home Care Aide; two hours on communication; two hours on understanding basic human needs; two hours on maintaining a healthy environment; two hours on infection control in the home; and one hour on emergency procedures, OR 75 hour certified nurse aide course work, and successful completion of a competency test as approved by the National Home Care Council, the Iowa Department of Public Health and by this agency. Required is a physical examination completed at the time of employment and as requested by VNA with a physician’s statement of the employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. Annual TB testing is required. Car, adequate liability insurance and current driver’s license are required. All offers of employment are conditioned upon the result of a criminal background check conducted by the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, as required by law and a negative finding on the Office of Inspector General’s Excluded Provider List.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE: The employee will demonstrate working knowledge of the English language, both orally and in writing. The employee will demonstrate the ability to provide environmental services as evidenced by successful completion of a training course; and organizational skills necessary to manage several client appointments each day.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND EQUIPMENT: Work is performed in clients' homes with the employee driving from home to home during the work period. The clients' homes are throughout Johnson County; the driving requirements include in-town and highway driving in good and inclement weather.
PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE DEMANDS: The employee will perform the duties of the job at clients' homes during employed hours. The duties include performing homemaking tasks, including vacuuming, grocery shopping, laundry, and so on. These duties require the physical demands of lifting, reaching, pushing, bending, stooping, going up and down stairs, driving, etc. Must have the ability to lift 35 lbs from floor to counter 3 times (to simulate lifting into trunk of car). Lift 50 lbs from floor to counter 1 time. Lift 50 lbs from counter to floor 1 time. Ability to push/pull a vacuum. Ability to carry 35 lbs up and down a flight of stairs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: To be performed satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The following duties are normal for this position. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, it is not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned by the employer.
1. Follows plan for home maintenance as developed by Clinical Services Manager, Social Worker, or Nursing staff.
2. Completes necessary errands for clients as directed.
3. Reports any concerns or problems expressed by the client or noted by the employee to the Clinical Services Manager or case manager.
4. Respects client rights to their privacy, person and property.
5. Keeps client information confidential.
6. Completes timesheets accurately and on a timely basis and submits as requested.
7. Completes documentation of service provided according to care plan guidelines.
8. Follows schedule of visits and contacts VNA office with any difficulties in following schedule.
9. Complies with agency policies.
10. Performs other duties as necessary, including required participation in VNA emergency/ disaster plans.