VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION
REPORTS TO: Visiting Nurse Association Board of Directors
SUPERVISES: Clinical Services Manager, Quality Manager, contracted CareResources Managers, Project Specialist.
WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Board of Directors and Committees, National and State professional organizations, United Way, news media, community groups and leaders, Johnson County Board of Health and Supervisors, and third-party payer representatives.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Exempt, salaried
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: As the Chief Executive Officer, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the association, including oversight of day-to-day operations, planning, development, implementation and evaluation of employees, programs and services.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: A minimum of five years progressively more responsible experience in health service administration, with at least two years home health experience; Baccalaureate degree in nursing required, Master’s degree preferred. Car, driver’s license and adequate insurance as outlined in the personnel policies. Required is a physical examination completed at the time of employment with a physician’s statement of the employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job Initial and annual TB testing is required. All offers of employment are conditioned upon the result of a criminal background check conducted by the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, as required by law and a negative finding on the Office of Inspector General’s Excluded Provider List.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE: The Executive Director will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in the English language both verbally and in writing. The employee will demonstrate strong leadership and decision making skills, and organizational skills needed to manage several projects simultaneously. The employee will demonstrate proficiency with computers and other common office machines.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND EQUIPMENT: The Executive Director will perform the duties of the job in an office setting in a private office during employed hours. The ambient noise level in this environment is generally low.
PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE DEMANDS: The position requires the ability to lift 35 lbs 2 times in a row from floor to counter.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: To be performed satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The following duties are normal for this position. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, it is not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned by the Board of Directors.In cooperation with the Board of Directors, develops the strategic plan and directs implementation of goals and objectives outlined in the plan.
- In cooperation with the Board of Directors, develops the strategic plan and directs implementation of goals and objectives outlined in the plan.
- Develops and maintains an effective organizational structure to carry out the goals and objectives of the agency.
- Reviews and approves hiring of all employees and termination of any employee.
- Directs all home and community programs through delegation of authority to appropriate management and support staff.
- Ensures availability of a clinical manager during office hours and for 24 hour on-call responsibility; includes functioning as clinical manager in absence of VNA Clinical Services Manager.
- Directs development and implementation of performance improvement programs for all services.
- Keeps Board informed of agency status/concerns.
- Develops and implements an effective fiscal plan, including annual budget, cost analysis and fee setting through delegation of authority to appropriate management and support staff.
- Represents agency in maintaining existing funding sources; Identifies and develops new funding sources.
- Assures accurate collection of data, prepares report for the Board and funding sources, and interprets such data.
- Negotiates and signs all contracts and agreements for provision of services and management of the agency.
- Maintains knowledge of third party resources and contacts as necessary.
- Ensures compliance with all legal and regulatory rules and standards as required by Medicare and a homecare accrediting body.
- Maintains knowledge of local, state and national events affecting home and community health, shares knowledge as appropriate with VNA staff, and takes action as appropriate.
- Promotes efficient, effective delivery of service by assuring appropriate levels of competent staff.
- Supervises and evaluates performance of management staff and reviews all other performance appraisals.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with institutions of higher learning.
- Identifies health needs in the community and initiates Board approved services as appropriate.
- Promotes effective interpersonal relationships within the service staff and between staff and management/support personnel.
- Represents agency to and in the community, participating in coordination/planning meetings with other community organizations as appropriate.
- Implements and complies with VNA Board and agency policies.
- Performs other duties as necessary, including required participation in VNA emergency/ disaster plans.
My signature on this form shall acknowledge receipt of the job description for my employment with the Visiting Nurse Association.
I have read the job description to familiarize myself with general information and responsibilities. All of my current questions regarding this job description have been answered.
I understand that as part of my job responsibilities I may be assigned duties other than those currently described in my job description, including responding to an emergency event. In an emergency event, I understand my responsibilities may change.
I understand that I must be able to perform all of these job responsibilities with, or without, reasonable accommodations. I also recognize that if I need reasonable accommodations, I must inform the VNA in writing.
My signature below represents that I can perform this job with or without reasonable accommodations and am aware that I will need to participate in VNA's Emergency/Disaster Plan if an emergency event occurs.
I understand and acknowledge that any misrepresentation or false information will be considered grounds for dismissal from the VNA.
Employee Signature:_______________________ Date:_________________________
Reviewed/Revised: 5/97, 10/99, 7/01, 6/02, 7/02, 3/06, 8/08, 12/10, 9/11, 3/12, 2/13, 3/17